Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 13, 2014- I Got a Great Idea!



            I have sinned a great sin.
            I, with full knowledge and consent did, and I hesitate to even say this out loud- partake in a Carmel Frappe’ from McDonald’s with my daughter Gracie.  And when I say “partake”, I mean I sucked that thing down like it was an Olympic competition and I was racing for the gold.  I think I won. 
            However, now, I have to run four miles.  Hard.  On my treadmill.  I just don’t want to see that Carmel Frappe’ again. 
            Good news.  The Frappe’ remained from whence I sent it.  I also ran a great four miles on the treadmill, about an eight-thirty pace, with mile three at eight minutes.  (It has everything to do with dropping just a little weight.)  I did this while engrossed in the ongoing English drama at Downton Abbey.  Sure helps divert the pain.  I’m usually inclined to divert the pain…
Hey, I got a great idea!  I should buy the TV series and harness up some kind of DVD contraption- kind of a hoist and lever display strapped to my shoulders so I can be sidetracked while running the Boston Marathon.  It could work!  And while I’m at it, maybe I could rig up some kind of devise that I can sit on, no lie on- maybe a fluffy couch on wheels with chips and the remote so I can just relax while I run.  I better put a fast engine on the thing because I want to win!
I know I could train really well for that; I am super good already at couch reclining.  No?  Maybe not I guess.  No matter how hard I try to think up really good ideas to get away from crosses, just seems like we can’t in life.  So I might as well resign myself to my fate.
Didn’t Jesus say something about His yoke being easy, His burden light? 


Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.  (Matt. 12:28-30)       


I sure love the sound of that, and I know that these words are the truth, what is.  But they are the truth of God, which is at a polar opposite to the truth of the world.  We are called to be children of God, to be in the world, but not of the world.  What this, one of my bible favorites says to me is that even if your crosses and sufferings are great, if you are united to Jesus and trust in His will for you, that yoke will be doable.  It will be worth it, and even in the face of excruciating pain, it will bring you joy.   Joy the world cannot know; joy that only comes from union with God.   
                                   Me and my Gracie, at her 5th grade graduation.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment